Bowerman Funeral Home, in conjunction with a furniture store, was originally established in Eau Claire, Michigan, under a different name in the 1880s by Herman Esalhorst. Francis A. and Leona Bowerman purchased the business in 1923, and about a year later opened the town’s first funeral chapel as Bowerman Funeral Home at the corner of Berrien and Linn Streets. Prior to this, funerals were held either in the home of the deceased or in a church.
On December 15, 1930, Mr. Bowerman opened his new and modern chapel at the current location on Main Street in the building which had for more than 30 years been the home and office of Dr. J. H. Herring, who had purchased the home from his father-in-law, F. M. Hinkle, who was the postmaster for the village.
The Bowermans became semi-retired in 1961 and transferred the business to their son and his wife, Richard and Wanda Bowerman. After working with the Bowermans for over 10 years, James and Karen Allred purchased Bowerman Funeral Home on January 1, 1987, as a companion business to Allred Funeral Home in Berrien Springs, Michigan. They continue the tradition started by the Bowermans of providing a complete range of funeral services with compassion and dignity for families of every financial status.